Sunday, January 4, 2015

DIY Valentine's Day Puzzle Heart Picture Frame With Free Printable

Reuse leftover puzzle pieces in this simple-to make craft project. This craft can easily be altered to be perfect for little crafters. *see alterations below for the small crafters in your life.*

Materials:

Frame
Puzzle Pieces
Chrome Spray Paint (or any color or texture you desire)
Hot Glue (or other adhesive glue like E6000)
Exacto Knife

*Make it kid friendly with these materials*

Frame
Puzzle Pieces
Acrylic Paints
Paintbrushes
Elmer's Glue (or Tacky Glue)



*If doing this project with your kids DO NOT allow children to use any sharp objects like an Exacto knife or hot objects like a hot glue gun*

When I decided to do this puzzle frame I didn't have any puzzles lying around that I could use. I am always looking for cheap projects to create so I hopped on over to my local Dollar Tree to look through their puzzles. They had several 500 piece puzzles and only one box of 100 pieces. I picked up a few of the 500 and the only 100 piece box they had on hand. Out of the two sizes I really like how the larger pieces turned out. I picked the Plaid heart photo frames up at Walmart for $0.97 each.

Directions: 
*I made two of these frames two different ways. I will talk about the pros and cons of each method*

1. Line the center of your frame where your photo will sit with the flat edges of your puzzle pieces. Once you have them lined up the way you like them glue them down with the glue option of your choice. *You can paint your frame before or after you glue your pieces down. I think it's just as easy to do this all in one step at the end.*





Note: * I did this on both methods and it works great. First method I glued the puzzle pieces down raw side facing out. On the second frame I actually spray painted the puzzle pieces BEFORE gluing them down. Out of the two methods I prefer gluing the puzzle pieces picture side facing out and waiting to paint until last. If you are doing the kid version you will want to paint the pieces with acrylic paint first and allow them to dry before moving on to the next step.*

2. Once you have the center puzzle pieces glued down you can start adding your other puzzle pieces to the frame working your way out.

Note: *If you have any puzzle pieces hanging over the edge you can use your Exacto knife to clean up the edges.*




3. Once you have your first layer of puzzle pieces glued down you can start adding second and third layers. Add as many layers as you like.





4. Once you have all the puzzle pieces glued down you can spray paint your finished frame.
*I painted my first frame with this pink spray but didn't like how it looked so I went back over it with chrome and I liked it much better!*



Note: *If you are doing the kid version once the acrylic pain has dried you can glue your puzzle pieces to the frame.*

5. I traced the frame's heart onto a thick piece of felt board. I cut it out to fit behind the printable I made to give it a little extra security. I picked the felt board up at Walmart for $1.97 each.

Note: I created this free printable that you can download and use for your personal use only. DO NOT sell this printable.*

6. I also traced out the same size heart from the 5x7 printable I created and printed onto photo paper. Place it in your new frame and you're done!



7. As an extra step you should seal your frame with Plaid Modge Podge Spray (Don't use the matte finish as it will take away from the chrome shine on your frame).


Out of the two methods I tried I prefer adding paint to the finished side of the puzzle pieces as it gives it a more finished look. I also prefer using larger puzzle pieces. It doesn't look as busy that way, more clean cut if you will. What I took from my first try is to remove all hot glue strings before placing your puzzle pieces down. This will keep you from having them show up once you spray paint your finished frame.

If you are like me and are more of a visual person I have created a video tutorial for you. In the video tutorial I will be working with the larger puzzle pieces.

Don't forget to check me out on YouTube for more DIY projects/tutorial videos. Also be sure to follow me on Pinterest and if you see a project you would like to see me tackle leave it in a comment below.

I'm on Facebook and Twitter too!



Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment